Welcome Visitor
Today is Monday, November 20, 2017

Sea Bright Seawall Repair and Construction To Begin Sept. 6

SEA BRIGHT: The borough's long-awaited sea wall construction and repair project will begin at the conclusion of the summer season.

Sea Bright officials recently released a timeline for the work, which is set to begin on Sept. 6 and will run until the spring, 2018.

Preliminary work has already begun in the area behind borough hall as J. Fletcher Creamer & Son as test pits have been dug at the base of the seawall to assess what the groundwater seepage conditions will be like during the full-scale operation. This groundwater is being pumped into the ocean and the contractor has said they do not expect it to affect bathing conditions in the ocean.

After Labor Day, the full-scale operation will begin with work beginning at 6 a.m. Monday-Friday and sometimes on Saturdays in an effort to get the project complete before the 2018 summer season. Residents can expect heavy truck traffic, elevated noise levels, beach access detours and some beach closures.

Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach were heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 when raging storm tides destroyed beach clubs, homes and businesses and displaced and eroded portions of the seawall. In areas where there was a break in the seawall, the surging flood tides inundated the low-lying communities, causing extensive damage.

The existing seawall extends 4.7 miles, from Valentine Street in Monmouth Beach to the Highlands Bridge in North Sea Bright and work will be done in almost every area of the borough.

• In North Beach there will be major reconstruction to elevate and match the existing seawall south of the Land's End Condominiums up to the Route 36 Bridge.

• At the municipal beach there will be new stone seawall construction to fill the existing gap between Chapel Beach Club and the south end of the municipal parking lot and major/minor reconstruction work from the south end of the municipal parking lot down to Donovan's. A vehicular crossover ramp will be constructed to allow authorized vehicles and pedestrians to access the beach at the north end of the municipal parking lot.

• At Tradewinds, there will be new stone seawall construction to fill the existing 20-foot gap which once served as beach access to the former Tradewinds Beach Club.

• There will be minor grout and stone work at various other locations.

The timetable for the work at Tradewinds and the minor repairs has not yet been decided.

Last year, FEMA obligated $28,358,886 in additional grant funding for the repair of the Hurricane Sandy-damaged seawall, bringing the total FEMA funding obligated for the project to date to $31,344,834. That amount represents 90 percent of the total project cost of $34,827,594. The State of New Jersey will fund the remaining 10 percent.


Share: 
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: